Travel and Visas

If you are planning to attend VIS 2019 and may need a visa, we encourage you to visit the Candian visa policy website for information on visa procedures and applications. Please allow ample time for visa processing.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Since 2016, the Canadian government now requires most visitors (except for U.S. citizens and visitors with a valid visa) arriving in Canada by air to complete an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before traveling. If you are arriving by air and are not a Canadian citizen/resident or American citizen and are not traveling on another visa, you will most likely need to obtain an eTA. Please consult the Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization portal for more information.

Visa Letter Requests

For visitors who need a visa in order to enter Canada, visa letter requests are handled through the VIS 2019 registration system when you register for the conference. You must be fully registered for the conference before any letter can be issued.

The generated letter will contain the following:

  • Registration confirmation number
  • Full name including Salutation (Mr., Ms., Mrs.) in the order of Salutation, Given (First) Name, Family (Last) Name
  • Email address, mailing address and affiliation (business or school)

If additional information (such as paper title and number, passport number, passport expiration date, date of birth, etc) is necessary, you can enter this information when you register and it will be included in the letter. If you have questions or additional requirement, you may contact