The VisInPractice associated event at IEEE VIS 2021 will feature four panels on the practice of visualization.
The VisInPractice program is an opportunity for visualization practitioners and researchers to meet and share experiences, insights, and ideas in applying data visualization and visual analytics to real use cases. Our goal is to acknowledge successful transfers of visualization research into applications as well as current visualization practices in industry.
The entire VisInPractice program will take place virtually on Monday, October 25, 2021 between 8:00 and 15:30 Central Daylight Time (GMT -5).
Full program details including panelist bios and the start times of the panels will be announced in the weeks leading up to the event.
Panel 1: Moving between Academia and Industry (moderated by Zhicheng Leo Liu); panelists:
- Hank Childs, University of Oregon
- Miguel Encarnação, Regions Financial Corporation and University of Iowa
- Melanie Tory, Northeastern University
- Jian Zhao, University of Waterloo
Panel 2: Tools of the Trade (moderated by Sean McKenna); panelists:
- Zan Armstrong, Observable
- Stephanie Kirmer, Saturn Cloud
- Nicolas Kruchten, Plotly
- Krist Wongsuphasawat, Airbnb
Panel 3: Practioner Collaborations (moderated by Matt Larsen); panelists:
- Cyrus Harrison, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Janine Bennett, Sandia National Laboratory
- Axel Huebl, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Renata Raidou, TU Wien
- Steve Morley, Los Alamos National Laboratory
Panel 4: Writing About Visualization (moderated by Matthew Brehmer); panelists:
- Mary Aviles, editor of Nightingale (Journal of the Data Visualization Society)
- Tiziana Alocci, editor of Market Cafe Magazine
- Piero Zagami, editor of Market Cafe Magazine
- Christian Miles, editor of Source / Target
- Danielle Szafir, editor of Multiple Views: Visualization Research Explained
The VisInPractice 2021 Team
- Matthew Brehmer, Tableau Research
- Matt Larsen, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Zhicheng (Leo) Liu, University of Maryland
- Sean McKenna, Lucid Software