IEEE VIS welcomes and encourages participation by people of all backgrounds and identities. We are committed to fostering and sustaining an environment of respect and inclusivity. To increase participation by underrepresented or historically marginalized groups, IEEE VIS is offering need-based scholarships for conference attendance. We invite you to submit your application through our online portal (application open in early summer).
Eligible applicants are from underrepresented and/or marginalized groups including but not limited to: gender, identity, race, ethnicity, disabilities, discipline. Applicants must be aged 18 years or older. Preference will be given to applicants with a demonstrated financial need (e.g., undergraduate students that are not currently funded for visualization research) and applicants who are new to the visualization research community.
The VIS 2021 Inclusivity & Diversity Scholarship Committee will review applications based on eligibility, need, and impact. Scholarships awarded will include:
- Complimentary conference registration.
- Based on need, fund will be provided for recipients that might not otherwise be able to attend the conference. Funds can be used to help support registration cost, WiFi hotspot expenses, and childcare. Recipients will need to keep original expense receipts and evidence of payment up to the subscribed limits for reimbursement once the conference is over.
- An assigned a mentor to guide receipients through the conference experience.
- A social event including the recipients and mentors to be held during VIS 2020.
Application and Timeline:
- Application form
- Deadline: August 31, 2021
- Notifications Sent: September 15, 2021
Inclusivity & Diversity Scholarship Chairs
- Alvitta Ottley (Washington University in St. Louis)
- Lace Padilla (University of California, Merced)
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the Inclusivity & Diversity Scholarship Program and Inclusivity & Diversity at IEEE VIS.
Support Inclusivity & Diversity
If you are interested in supporting the Inclusivity & Diversity Scholarship Program and Inclusivity & Diversity at VIS, please contact email@example.com.